Sunday, July 01, 2007

Hello - got some great albums this week!

The Groundhogs - Split Shadows (1972)
This seldom seen, great-sounding bootleg, is of a live performance in front of what sounds to be a very small audience at Ardent Studios in Memphis Tennessee, which was originally broadcast on radio station WMC FM-100 June 8 1972. You just have to hear the 22 minute version of "Still A Fool". Awesome is the only word to describe this and every Groundhogs fan needs to get this. The covers I made myself - the covers that I got with this can be got at cover-paradies, but they are very poor and have the wrong info.

1. - Eccentric Man (5:11)
2. - Music Is The Food Of Thought (5:07)
3. - Still A Fool (22:35)
4. - Split Part 1 (10:57)
5. - Ground Hog Blues (9:51)
6. - Cherry Red/Split Part 2 (10:51)

Part 1 Part 2

Magma - Kobaïa (1970)
Magma's debut was originally released as a double album, how many bands would have the cojones to do that? The music is what you might call challenging - you might give this a shot and come back to it later if you find it too weird - chances are you will end up liking it. There are soft beautiful passages mixing it up with some that are intense and disturbing, it's all very avante-garde. Sometimes jazzy, sometimes classical-sounding, even operatic, always inventive and energetic - the album supposedly tells a story about the inhabitants of the planet Kobaïa, but since I don't understand the language I don't have a clue what is going on. I don't really need one though do I? I'm pretty sure this is a masterpiece of some kind!

Part 1 Part 2

Bachdenkel - Stalingrad (1977)
Bachdenkel's second and last album was released six years or so after their first album, "Lemmings". This reissue has 10 bonus tracks, singles and live material, that are all worthwhile. Bachdenkel made a kind of progressive rock that is thoughtful and intelligent, with great vocals and beautiful lyrics. Light on the keyboards, mostly two guitars, bass and drums, and vocals. If you like this you will really like Lemmings, which I posted February 27, 2007.

My rip @ High VBR w/scans

Part 1 Part 2

Mon Dyh - Confused Mind (1981)
I guess a lot of people have a favorite obscure band, that they can't figure out why people don't go ape when they hear them. Mon Dyh is it for me. I own all three of their CD's and can listen to any of them at any time. Low-key blues based rock, nothing here will knock your socks off, but if you give it your full attention you will see that it is nearly perfect - musicianship, songwriting, vocals, production. Not to mention Andreas Pröhl's guitar playing. Jeez I just love this band - but there is no info at all about them on the net. Obviously their albums have been reissued so they can't be totally forgotten. I think these guys were great, but it could just be "me and me and my my confused mind"!

My rip @ High VBR w/scans

Download

Quatermass - Quatermass (1970)
The only album from this power trio (keyboards, bass, drums) is a volatile mixture of hard rock and prog. The second track, "Black Sheep Of The Family", was later covered by Rainbow. The keyboard player, Peter Robinson, later of Brand X, is on fire throughout most of this. The bass player/vocalist, John Gustafson, has a voice that is perfect for this, and drummer Mick Underwood is no slouch. A damn good album!

Part 1 Part 2

Peter Frohmader - Nekropolis 2 (1982)
The eight tracks on this album were made to be soundtracks for some short films made by Swiss artist H.R. Geiger - anybody know if these Geiger films are online anywhere? Anyway this is some great experimental/avant garde music. This is the kind of stuff you listen to alone, late at night, with headphones. Pretty much like a cross between electronic krautrock, proto-industrial, and Magma! The more Frohmader I hear, the more I like this guy - I'm gonna start buying some of his CD's I think. Awesome.

Download

OK then see you later!

25 Comments:

Blogger Barmaleyy said...

Thanks for Mon Dyh. It's really great band.

7:23 PM, July 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'd recently noticed this Groundhogs set somewhere else and passed it up, but once I read your endorsement (and in particular the words "You just have to hear the 22 minute version of 'Still A Fool'") I was sold... Very nice, thanks - as always - for sharing this.

6:46 PM, July 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got myself a copy of the Hogs boot - thanks for this - would get the Quatermass as well if I didn't have it already, highly recommended. Gustafson's voice is excellent & the whole trio plays some of the best rock/prog of the early 70s.

11:46 AM, July 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little comment about Mon Dyh and TRC Records...

First of all, that music deserves it to be posted. Thank you!

Well, but once again my old opinion has been confirmed: AVOID TRC RECORDS! Their releases are nothing else than shabby bootlegs, and in this case the first seconds of "Confused Mind" are missing (the original LP Version that I own starts with the same drum break as the single version) and that CD runs about 1% too slow...

12:56 PM, July 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Night Is Beautiful & The Moon Is...

Hi Liam!

I remember when I was a teenager I used to lay in my bed & watch the beautiful moon from my room's window, while listening to my favorite music. I had a perfect view of the city of Tehran & the sky.

Yeah I was very happy & The Night was Beautiful & The Moon was...more Beautiful every night.

Now it's just a sweet memory. My life has changed but I'm still happy because I have my family, friends, colleagues, good will & most of all Jesus The Almighty.

Good Night!
Behnam
Iran

P.S. Thanks For The Great New Posts.

2:32 PM, July 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Liam,

As usual I'm behind and my comment doesn't belong to this post .. I've been listening to the Message albums (I dug into the archive and got the other one) and as I usually incline towards the darker side of music I liked the Dreams and Nightmares best .. certain saxaphone passages reminded me of early King Crimson. The Groundhogs this week sounds great.

Dear Behnam, I liked your post about the moon, it was very descriptive. I also have a view of my city as I'm on the top floor but like you not much time to contemplate it while listening to music but that would be ideal ! - Julie

4:39 AM, July 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Garcolga,

thank you very much for the gems!
(and for ruinin' my hd's...lol)
keep rockin'!
hugs
sergio

10:03 AM, July 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julie!
Thanks for your nice compliment.

I believe You're never behind as long as we care about our Friends & the music...The Music We Love.

God Bless You
Behnam
Iran

2:49 PM, July 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gar',
Thanx for the great post. Magma is a real interesting band, french dudes creating their own language and living in a kind of community (don't know if it was fun...).
And hello to all of you going by there, Behnam or Julie, ie.

Outerpsych

12:44 AM, July 05, 2007  
Blogger fuzztunnel said...

Magma's debut does it for me in a way that none of their other albums do. I know that some might find that heretical, but so be it.

8:43 AM, July 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Garcolga,
In appreciation for all the great shares I have nominated 8 Days in April for the MP3 Music Blog of the Year Award at Mega Super Mammoth (at Gravy Bread). The cash prize is a modest $50 and I hope to announce the winner this month. Just thought you should know from the source. Thanks for being an early adopter of the Mammoth on your blogroll. I get mucho traffique from ya.
-Evan G

12:39 PM, July 05, 2007  
Blogger GarColga said...

Hi Barmaleyy - thanks for the comment!!

Hi zubbid - You are welcome.

Hi Franz - You're welcome. Regardless, I love that CD!

Hi Benham - You're welcome & thanks for sharing!

Hi Julie, thanks for commemting. Unlike you & Benham, I live on the ground, down with the bugs!

Hi Sergio - sorry about your hard drive! They're getting cheaper anyway.

Julie & Benham, sitting in a tree...k-i-s-s-i-n-g!!

Hi Outerpsych!

Hi fuzztunnel - you heretic!

Hi Evan - wow what an honor to be nominated! If I am selected, I will use my fame to promote world peace... no, wait - I'll use the $50 to buy a rare CD & then share it!!

7:08 PM, July 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an imagination you have Liam. Wouldn't be bad to sit in a tree (if I could get up there) but nowadays I only kiss my husband. Do you grow The Leaf on the ground, down with the bugs ?

(Been listening to Quatermass - I like keyboards.)

- Julie

11:27 AM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Residentevil2 said...

Big thanks for the Groundhogs very much appreciated.

2:25 PM, July 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very thanks for all the Krautrock!
Good Vibes from Mexico City!!!

1:38 PM, July 08, 2007  
Blogger GarColga said...

Hi Julie - No I don't grow "The Leaf"!! I can barely keep my lawn from dying!

Hi Residentevil2 - You're welcome!

Hi Aghori - Hello to Mexico City & thanks for the good vibes.

3:27 PM, July 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this very interesting music! My jaw just dropped on the floor! And I also checked your previous blogs and I have to say that your blog is one of the best on the web. Holy cow that you really running great web blog. I will surely check the mp3s from your website before I buy actual cd. Again, thank you so much for the music and useful information. Keep up the great work!

3:57 PM, July 15, 2007  
Blogger GarColga said...

Hi anonymous - welcome to the blog, and thanks for taking the time to let me know you're here!!!

3:35 PM, July 16, 2007  
Blogger ZaXXoN said...

Thanks for The Groundhogs Boot - Absolutely Brilliant!!!

10:44 AM, July 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for Steppenwolf...

7:10 AM, July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELP,
I#m searching for some
Garden of Delights - CD'S,
can anybody help me?
003 SUNDOME AND THE NIGHT "In lean hours"
018 HELMUT TEUBNER "Heaven’s light"
020 V.A. "Psychedelic underground 2"
021 TYBURN TALL "Live...and passion"
022 ARKTIS "On the rocks"
023 CRABS "Wheel of fate"
027 TRY "Just a try"
030 V.A. "Psychedelic underground 3"
031 ROYAL SERVANTS "We"
036 EILIFF "Close encounter with their third one"
039 ARKTIS "More Arktis tapes"
041 TWILIGHT "Day and night"
044 CURLY CURVE "Forgotten tapes"
050 V.A. "Psychedelic underground 5"
057 NINE DAYS’ WONDER "The best years of our life?"
058 ART BOYS COLLECTION "Stoned wall"
060 V.A. "Psychedelic underground 6"
063 GALAXY "Visions"
074 BRAINSTORM "Bremen 1973"
075 GURU GURU "Essen 1970"
078 ZOMBY WOOF "Riding on a tear"
082 EILIFF "Bremen 1972"
087 JOIN IN "Kentalope Island"
090 V.A. "Psychedelic underground 9"
097 RELEASE MUSIC ORCHESTRA "Bremen 1978"
101 SAFFRAN “Blue in ashes”
102 AIGUES VIVES “Water of seasons”
105 WANIYETULA “A dream within a dream”
107 EULENSPYGEL “Staub auf Deinem Haa
110 V.A. "Psychedelic underground 11"
115 Soul Caravan Live 1969
117 XHOL Altena 1970
118 AINIGMA Deluvium
120 V.A. "Psychedelic underground 12"
121 WANIYETULA Iron City
123 VIKINGS INVASION Vol. 1
125 ARKTIS: Last Arktis tapes
126 LEVEL p: Entrance
if some one needs the other stuff,
i can help,
greetings,
Flo

4:36 AM, August 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog; fantastic! Thank you so much for all the info.

4:26 PM, September 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Thanks for Magma. I used to have the vinyl, but lost it in one of my many moves.

Thanks also for Bachdenkel. I grew up in France when they (and Magma) were around, but I was never able to hear their LP until now.

I saw Magma and Fred Frith in Grenoble back in the day. Amazing shows.

Cheers,

Marc (Canada)

11:37 AM, November 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Frohmader stuff may be alien to some, but it's certainly not alien to me.

11:40 PM, December 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to describe Nekropolis? Music from beyond, to be haunted... Great stuff.

3:28 PM, February 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home